How it all started...
JAYA JUSCO is set up in Malaysia In 1984, Jaya Jusco Stores Sdn. Bhd. was established in Malaysia, in response to the Malaysian Prime Minister Dato' Seri Dr. Mahathir's request to help modernise thee retail industry in Malaysia using the world's most advanced management expertise.
Dr. Mahathir believed that the modernisation of the retail industry was crucial for the country's economic growth. Prior to this, in 1983 Dr. Mahathir visited Tokyo and met the then JUSCO Co., Ltd. President, Mr. Takuya Okada to discuss the proposition of bringing the JUSCO name to Malaysia. The talks ended on a positive note and Dr. Mahathir invited JUSCO to set up store in Malaysia. All this was part of Dr. Mahathir's Look East policy for Malaysia.
Following this, a joint venture company was established in September 1984. There were three parties involved: JUSCO Co., Ltd., Japan, Peremba, a leading governmentowned property company and Cold Storage, a premier supermarket chain store.
JAYA JUSCO's aim was to grow with the people of Malaysia through the transfer of expertise from Japan to Malaysia and human resource development, two factors which would contribute greatly to the progress of Malaysia.
- JAYA JUSCO STORES SDN BHD established, in response to a request from Prime Minister Y.A.B. Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir bin Mohamad, to help modernise the retailing industry in Malaysia.
- The first pilot store, JAYA JUSCO Dayabumi, opened.
- The second pilot store, JAYA JUSCO Taman Tun Dr. Ismail opened.
- JAYA JUSCO Dayabumi closed.
- The first Superstore, JAYA JUSCO Taman Maluri, opened.
- JUSCO Melaka was opened and fully operated by Malaysian staff. The ÆON Group's "Hometown Forest" programme was launched simultaneously at the inauguration of JUSCO Melaka.
- JUSCO Wangsa Maju (Alpha Angle Shopping Centre), our first Shopping Centre, opened.
- Our Distribution Centre begun operations.
- Japanese Trainee Programme begun.
- JAYA JUSCO Taman Tun Dr. Ismail closed.
- JUSCO Bandar Utama (1 Utama Shopping Centre) opened.
- JUSCO Bandar Baru Klang (Bukit Raja Shopping Centre) opened.
- JAYA JUSCO STORES BHD was listed on the Main Board of the KLSE.
- JUSCO Ipoh (Kinta City Shopping Centre) opened.
- JUSCO Melaka Shopping Centre reopened.
- JUSCO Mid Valley opened.
- JUSCO Taman Maluri Shopping Centre re-opened.
- JUSCO Bandar Puchong opened.
- Launch of WAOH Charity Fund / JUSCO Fest / JUSCO's 17th Anniversary.
- 22 Malaysian students and 2 former participants from the 1990 batch were invited to Japan as 'Ambassadors'through the ÆON "1% Club"Programme.
- Establishment of JUSCO-OUM Retail Centre in Alpha Angle Shopping Centre, at Wangsa Maju.
- JUSCO Taman Universiti opened, Japan Management Training Programme reactivated.
- WAOH Charity Bazaar.
- WAOH Charity Bazaar.
- JUSCO Home Centre opened in 1 Utama Shopping Centre.
- 3,000 seedlings were planted in the vicinity of the JUSCO Permas Jaya store as part of ÆON's environmental campaign, 'Planting Seeds of Growth'.
- JUSCO Permas Jaya Shopping Centre opened.
- JUSCO Metro Prima Tree Planting Ceremony was held. 2,000 seedlings were planted.
- JUSCO Metro Prima Shopping Centre opened.
- WAOH Charity Fund officially registered as the "WAOH"Malaysian JUSCO Foundation.
- Company authorised share capital increased from RM100,000,000 to RM500,000,000.
- JAYA JUSCO STORES BHD. officially changed name to AEON CO. (M) BHD.
- JUSCO celebrated 20th Anniversary in Malaysia with Gala Dinner.
- Official launch of "WAOH"Malaysian JUSCO Foundation.
- 30,000 seedlings planted in the Malaysia-Japan Friendship Forest, AEON Woodland, Paya Indah Wetlands.
- Completed Bonus Issue (1:1) for 87,750,000 new Ordinary Shares.
- AEON CO. (M) BHD. received a certificate of appreciation from the Prime Minister for its tree planting activities.
- Charity Gala Dinner was held.
- The management of AEON CO. (M) BHD. met with the Mentri Besar of Negeri Sembilan, Y.A.B. Datuk Seri Utama Hj Mohamad Bin Hj Hasan.
- JUSCO Seremban 2 Tree Planting ceremony was held. 3,300 seedlings were planted. JUSCO Seremban 2 opened.
- JUSCO J-One Supermarket opened at Damansara Damai.
- AEON Tebrau City Tree Planting ceremony was held. 6,000 seedlings were planted.
- AEON Tebrau City Shopping Centre opened.
- Change of financial year end.
- AEON Taman Equine Tree Planting ceremony was held. 4,000 seedlings were planted.
- AEON Taman Equine Shopping Centre opened.
- PASAR RAYA D'HATI (formerly known as J-One) Supermarket in Pearl Point opened.
- AEON Cheras Selatan Tree Planting ceremony was held.
- 4,000 seedlings were planted. WAOH Gala Dinner held.
- JUSCO Queensbay store opened.
- AEON Cheras Selatan Shopping Centre opened.
- PASAR RAYA D'HATI name change ceremony held at Pearl Point Shopping Mall.
- Completed Bonus Issue (1:1) for 175,500,000 new Ordinary Shares.
- Pasar Raya MaxValu Pearl Point closed.
- 25th Anniversary Tree Planting Ceremony at AEON Woodland. 25,000 saplings planted.
- "With All Our Hearts" Malaysia JUSCO Foundation changed name to Malaysia AEON Foundation.
- JUSCO Bandar Utama reopened.
- AEON Ipoh Station 18 Shopping Centre Tree Planting Ceremony held. 3,500 saplings were planted.
- AEON unveiled the new brand name “AEON”and tagline “AEON Enriching Your Lifestyle”.
- J Card rebranded to AEON Member Card.
- AEON Ipoh Station 18 (AEON Ipoh Station 18 Shopping Centre) opened.
- Launch of first AEON Festival in conjunction with new AEON branding.
- Launch of AEON Malaysia Cheers Club.
- AEON Seri Manjung Shopping Centre Tree Planting Ceremony held. 3,000 saplings were planted.
- AEON Seri Manjung (AEON Seri Manjung Shopping Centre) opened.
- Launch of AEON Business Academy.
- AEON Mall Kulaijaya Tree Planting Ceremony held. 9,025 saplings were planted.
- AEON Kulaijaya (AEON Mall Kulaijaya) opened.